Quantcast

[jgap-devl] RE: Designing a Chromosome

Maeve Donnelly
Hi All,

Is there any documentation that would help me to design a chromosome?  I
have been looking through the examples provided and the Chromosomes Genes
are usually made up booleans/int/doubles.

If a gene can have one of three possibles e.g. {cat, dog, goldfish}, how
should this be coded?

Should I use the StringGene class?  Or try to encode the possibilities as
integers?

Is there a more complicated example I could look at?

Thanks for any help.
Maeve

>From: "Maeve Donnelly" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email], [hidden email],
>[hidden email]
>CC: [hidden email]
>Subject: Designing a Chromosome
>Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:00:11 +0000
>
>Hi,
>
>I would be very grateful if someone could provide some pointers/help on
>designing a Chromosome? I have looked at the examples and seen how the
>Chromosomes have been set up there and this been a good help however I am
>trying to represent my own types of Chromosome/solutions and I am not sure
>how this should be set up.
>
>Lets say for example my Chromosome/solution is the ideal house for a first
>time buyer I want the solution to include:
>
>Address
>Number of Rooms
>Number of Gardens
>If it has a garage
>Price
>etc
>
>This type of data can be stored as Strings, ints and booleans is this how I
>should proceed with my design? Can it include different types?  Should I
>even be using strings if I know what the possible solutions can be e.g.
>Address = North City or South City - then should I just encode this as an
>int allele e.g. North City = 0; South City = 1.  What is best practice?
>
>Also are there performance overheads I should consider?
>
>Is there any documents/tutorials on this that I could take a look at?
>
>Thanks for any help,

>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
>http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

[jgap-devl] Gene development

Maeve Donnelly
Hi All,

I have a simple question about developing a chromosome - if a gene can have
one of three possibles e.g. {cat, dog, goldfish}, how should this be coded?
Should I use the StringGene class?  Or try to encode the possibilities as
integers? Or make up my own gene class?

Any help on developing chromosomes is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Maeve

>From: "Maeve Donnelly" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email], [hidden email],
>[hidden email]
>CC: [hidden email]
>Subject: RE: Designing a Chromosome
>Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:40:29 +0000
>
>Hi All,
>
>Is there any documentation that would help me to design a chromosome?  I
>have been looking through the examples provided and the Chromosomes Genes
>are usually made up booleans/int/doubles.
>
>If a gene can have one of three possibles e.g. {cat, dog, goldfish}, how
>should this be coded?
>
>Should I use the StringGene class?  Or try to encode the possibilities as
>integers?
>
>Is there a more complicated example I could look at?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Maeve
>

>>From: "Maeve Donnelly" <[hidden email]>
>>To: [hidden email], [hidden email],
>>[hidden email]
>>CC: [hidden email]
>>Subject: Designing a Chromosome
>>Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:00:11 +0000
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I would be very grateful if someone could provide some pointers/help on
>>designing a Chromosome? I have looked at the examples and seen how the
>>Chromosomes have been set up there and this been a good help however I am
>>trying to represent my own types of Chromosome/solutions and I am not sure
>>how this should be set up.
>>
>>Lets say for example my Chromosome/solution is the ideal house for a first
>>time buyer I want the solution to include:
>>
>>Address
>>Number of Rooms
>>Number of Gardens
>>If it has a garage
>>Price
>>etc
>>
>>This type of data can be stored as Strings, ints and booleans is this how
>>I should proceed with my design? Can it include different types?  Should I
>>even be using strings if I know what the possible solutions can be e.g.
>>Address = North City or South City - then should I just encode this as an
>>int allele e.g. North City = 0; South City = 1.  What is best practice?
>>
>>Also are there performance overheads I should consider?
>>
>>Is there any documents/tutorials on this that I could take a look at?
>>
>>Thanks for any help,

>>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
>>http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
>http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

[jgap-devl] Getting involved with JGAP

Maeve Donnelly
Hi,

Is it possible to volunteer to help with the development of this project.
At the moment my knowledge of the project is limited however I could work on
simple tasks and I am very keen to learn.

> [...]

>>>etc
>>>
>>>This type of data can be stored as Strings, ints and booleans is this how
>>>I should proceed with my design? Can it include different types?  Should
>>>I even be using strings if I know what the possible solutions can be e.g.
>>>Address = North City or South City - then should I just encode this as an
>>>int allele e.g. North City = 0; South City = 1.  What is best practice?
>>>
>>>Also are there performance overheads I should consider?
>>>
>>>Is there any documents/tutorials on this that I could take a look at?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help,

>>>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
>>>http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

>>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
>>http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

>MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.

Re: [jgap-devl] Gene development

Charles Kevin Hill
Maeve,

I would choose either:
1) Encode as Integer Genes
2) Create a custom Animal Enumeration Gene (would basically be an integer and a string label)

The second method may be better if you are developing a GUI to go with your GAs or you are planning on adding / modifying your animal lists alot.  Using the Integer Gene would definitely be easier though as that comes "out of the box" ;)

-K

On 9/6/05, Maeve Donnelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I have a simple question about developing a chromosome - if a gene can have
one of three possibles e.g. {cat, dog, goldfish}, how should this be coded?
Should I use the StringGene class?  Or try to encode the possibilities as
integers? Or make up my own gene class?

Any help on developing chromosomes is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Maeve

>From: "Maeve Donnelly" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email], [hidden email],
>[hidden email]
>CC: [hidden email]
>Subject: RE: Designing a Chromosome
>Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:40:29 +0000
>
>Hi All,
>
>Is there any documentation that would help me to design a chromosome?  I
>have been looking through the examples provided and the Chromosomes Genes
>are usually made up booleans/int/doubles.
>
>If a gene can have one of three possibles e.g. {cat, dog, goldfish}, how
>should this be coded?

>Should I use the StringGene class?  Or try to encode the possibilities as
>integers?
>
>Is there a more complicated example I could look at?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Maeve
>

>>From: "Maeve Donnelly" <[hidden email]>
>>To: [hidden email], [hidden email],
>>[hidden email]
>>CC: [hidden email]
>>Subject: Designing a Chromosome
>>Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:00:11 +0000
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I would be very grateful if someone could provide some pointers/help on
>>designing a Chromosome? I have looked at the examples and seen how the
>>Chromosomes have been set up there and this been a good help however I am
>>trying to represent my own types of Chromosome/solutions and I am not sure
>>how this should be set up.
>>
>>Lets say for example my Chromosome/solution is the ideal house for a first
>>time buyer I want the solution to include:
>>
>>Address
>>Number of Rooms
>>Number of Gardens
>>If it has a garage
>>Price
>>etc
>>
>>This type of data can be stored as Strings, ints and booleans is this how
>>I should proceed with my design? Can it include different types?  Should I
>>even be using strings if I know what the possible solutions can be e.g.
>>Address = North City or South City - then should I just encode this as an
>>int allele e.g. North City = 0; South City = 1.  What is best practice?
>>
>>Also are there performance overheads I should consider?
>>
>>Is there any documents/tutorials on this that I could take a look at?
>>
>>Thanks for any help,

>>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
>> http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

>Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters!
> http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

Charles Kevin Hill
EE/CPE/STS

RE: [jgap-devl] RE: Designing a Chromosome

Klaus Meffert
Hello Maeve,

If possible, encode the possible values as integers. A StringGene would go
more in the direction of Genetic Programming, a more complex thus more
powerful approach in the field of Evolutionary Algorithms.
A more complicated examples is the formula finder
(examples.functionFinder.FormulaFinder). I think you need to download this
in an extra package (from the JGAP sourceforge site) as it relies on a third
party library with an incompatible licence which has been split up from the
main JGAp package for that).