difference between A* search and genetic algorithms

difference between A* search and genetic algorithms

sri-r-ksh
Hi All, I am working on a problem with data analytics. For the problem we are dealing, we got stuck in dilemma whether to use A* or genetic algorithms. Reason is, if we use A* algorithm we might get stuck in local optimum, but if our heuristic function is using brute force approach (like, example: comparing every possible sequence of data for what we are searching for), we can reach to optimum solution but will take lots of computation and time. To minimize time, we thought of using clusters of computers to crunch the data and find the solution. This is a valid solution, but needs to spend more computation power. Computation power can be optimized using few nodes in clusters, when used genetic algorithms to solve the problem. But here is the dilemma, are there any other benefits over other methods using genetic algorithms, part from reducing computation time and power, and of course finding optimum solution. Does genetic algorithms gives any edge over other methods. Please let me know. Thanks, Sri.

Re: difference between A* search and genetic algorithms

Bugzilla from mail@jtheuer.de
On Friday 03 August 2012 09:41:57 sri-r-ksh wrote:
>  if we use A* algorithm we might get stuck in local optimum

that should not happen if your heuristic function is correct. Do you get
correct results for h(x)=0 (Dijkstra)?
--
Jan

Re: difference between A* search and genetic algorithms

Mauricio Noda
There is no such thing as "correct" heuristic function. There are different heuristic functions which behave well or not depending on the situation.

The need for heuristic functions is a difference between A* and genetic algorithms. Heuristic functions require extra domain knowledge. Genetic algorithms restrict domain knowledge to inside the fitness function and chromosomes.