Quantcast

Sub-Populations

peter@JGAP
This post was updated on .
Hello JGAP-Users and Developers,

I am new to JGAP and I have 3 questions regarding sub-populations:

1. It seems to me that there is only one Population at any point in time. The NaturalSelectors and GeneticOperator change this Population in a serial way. Is that true?

2. How would I implement the following setting with the implemented classes: Select n chromosomes of the Population by a NaturalSelector for recombination and mutation and merge the newly generated chromosomes with m (unchanged) chromosomes selected by another NaturalSelector.

3. How can I generate parallel "island" Populations, which are totaly seperated for n generations?

Thank you!

Re: Sub-Populations

peter@JGAP
peter@JGAP wrote
Hello JGAP-Users and Developers,

I am new to JGAP and I have 3 questions regarding sub-populations:

1. It seems to me that there is only one Population at any point in time. The NaturalSelectors and GeneticOperator change this Population in a serial way. Is that true?

2. How would I implement the following setting with the implemented classes: Select n chromosomes of the Population by a NaturalSelector for recombination and mutation and merge the newly generated chromosomes with m (unchanged) chromosomes selected by another NaturalSelector.

3. How can I generate parallel "island" Populations, which are totaly seperated for n generations?

Thank you!

What I found out so far regarding these questions (There might be other/better answers):

1. It looks like there is always only one population. But the chromosomes in a population can be discriminated by the attribute "age", so sub-populations exist implicitly.

2. With the help of the attribute "age" the described setting can be implemented in the following way: A natural selector is apllied (1). The cross-over- and a mutation-mechanism is applied only to the Chromosomes that are selected by the natural selector (they have the age "0") (2). A natural selector is applied only to the Chromosomes with age "1" (3).

3. About island populations: http://old.nabble.com/Island-Model-to22902256.html#a22902256