Quantcast

Question about setPopulationSize

Oppenheim, David (US SSA)
Hi,

I'm just getting started looking at this - I have a question about the
coin example given in "Getting Started With JGAP" from the JGAP site.

In Step 3, a configuration is set up.  In particular, a sample
chromosome is constructed and stored in the configuration.  Then, a call
is made to set the population size to 500.

Since gene0 can take on at most 4 values, gene1 at most 3, gene2 at most
2 and gene3 at most 5, aren't there exactly 120 (4x3x2x5) distinct
chromosomes?  How can the population be 500?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Oppenheim

Re: Question about setPopulationSize

Illyes Laszlo
Dear David,

Here the problem is how it works, not the example itself.
If U have an NP problem, where U can't generate all the variants, there will
work too. And there will be generation<<problem space

Good luck in your work

Laszlo Illyes
Teaching-assistant
Databases, Operational Research
Sapientia University
(Csikszereda) Miercurea-Ciuc
Tel:+40266317310
Fax:+40266372099
Mobil:+40740055706
E-mail: [hidden email]
web-page: http://sapientia.siculorum.ro/~illyeslaszlo/

> I'm just getting started looking at this - I have a question about
> the coin example given in "Getting Started With JGAP" from the JGAP site.
>
> In Step 3, a configuration is set up.  In particular, a sample
> chromosome is constructed and stored in the configuration.  Then, a call
> is made to set the population size to 500.
>
> Since gene0 can take on at most 4 values, gene1 at most 3, gene2 at most
> 2 and gene3 at most 5, aren't there exactly 120 (4x3x2x5) distinct
> chromosomes?  How can the population be 500?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Oppenheim

------- End of Original Message -------

RE: Question about setPopulationSize

Klaus Meffert
Dave,

in principle your considerations are fully valid. The documentation is not
complety synchroneous with the implementation (class MinimizingMakeChange).
The latter allows for larger amounts to be calculated coins for. Meaning in
general: The population size may be chosen as a general value covering many
possible cases. Besides that, it is a stochastic system (as any Genetic
Algorithm is). Thus, the more tries the GA is allowed to make, the higher
the chances. But you are right, the 500 is not chosen luckily, at least the
documentation should explain about it.

I will add some infos about it right now.

Thanx for your valuable feedback!