Quantcast

NullPointerException - at org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix

Rans
Hi All,

Can someone please give me a quick help here?
Has anyone created a matrix before using JGAP's createMatrix method in the Class GPConfiguration?

I get a NullPointerException when l try to create a matrix of any size using JGAP's GPConfiguration.createMatrix method (org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix).

The line of code below requests the GP Configuration to create a matrix of size 3x8 and call the matrix "MATRIX1", but l always get the Exception below:

    a_conf.createMatrix("MATRIX1", 3, 8);

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix(GPConfiguration.java:517)

Grateful for your help or any advice on this.

Rans

Re: NullPointerException - at org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix

Klaus Meffert-5
Hello Rans,

Do you try to call the createMatix method manually? If yes: This is not the
procedure. Instead, define a GP configuration which contains a create matrix
command (see the GP examples, one of them should reflect this, I think it is
the premature TicTacToe example).

Hello Klaus,

Thank you very much for your response.

I already tried to run the TicTacToe example, and got the same Nullpointer Exception.

I guess the HashTable declaration "m_matrices" in the class GPConfiguration was not initialised.

If l am  not wrong, the variable declaration should have been :

private transient Hashtable<String, char[][]> m_matrices = new Hashtable<String, char[][]>();

The initialisation could have also followed latter on " m_matrices= new Hashtable<String, char[][]>();", but l couldn't find it in the class GPConfiguration.

Cheers,

Rans
Klaus Meffert-5 wrote
Hello Rans,

Do you try to call the createMatix method manually? If yes: This is not the
procedure. Instead, define a GP configuration which contains a create matrix
command (see the GP examples, one of them should reflect this, I think it is
the premature TicTacToe example).

you are right, the initialization of m_matrices was missing in GPConfiguration. I checked in the correct version of the class to CVS. Alternatively you can use the modification you suggested below (i.e. initialize the variable; I have not tested your suggestion, if it does not work, please check out from CVS ).

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

Re: NullPointerException - at org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix

Rans
Hi Klaus,

Thanks.
I will get hold of the updated version as soon as l get back home to my project :).

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

Re: NullPointerException - at org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix

Rans
Hi Klause,

It seems l need a username and password to checkout from the JGAP CVS?
Grateful if you could kindly let me know how l can do this.
I downloaded the current version and tried to use the jar file, but this would'nt work.

I defined and initialized the matrix in my application which overcame the initial problem, but l am now getting NullPointerExceptions again as l am trying to use the
ReadFromMatrix, WriteToMatrix, ResetMatrix, CountMatrix, and ReplaceInMatrix CommandGene classes in the gp.function package.

Grateful for your help.

Best regards,

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

Re: NullPointerException - at org.jgap.gp.impl.GPConfiguration.createMatrix

Klaus Meffert-5
Hi Rans,

could you kindly send me the source code of your GP setup (or maybe the
complete source, if possible)?

I assume there is a problem with setup (although there is some space for
enhancement on JGAP side).

Thanx and best

Many thanks for your response,

I guess the problem was because my GP setup still hat the old JGAP Jar files where the matrix was not initialized.
I downloaded the current JGAP version and did a completely new GP setup. I do not get this exception anylonger, but will still be happy to send you my project code if you will have some time to look at it.

I however still have a few questions.

As l informed you in a mail sometime ago, l am trying to use JGAP to solve a game similar to the Tictactoe, precisely the Mühle Board Game. I therefore took off by studying your Tictactoe example as l knew nothing about JGAP. I couldn't understand quite a lot of things as l do today.

Since there are a lot of similarities in both games, l have basically followed your Tictactoe example, and even used some of your methods and classes, as well as defined new classes and Methods which l believe would help me to solve this problem.

My questions are:

1.   Are you aware that the Tictactoe example runs without stopping the moment it is started? Why does it never stop?
2.   You gave it a population size of 50. And l see that it runs for 800 or more generations. But l couldn't figure out where l can change the number of Generations it does (forgive me l am so new here).

3   What was your concept for calculating the fitness of the GP generated Tictactoe programms? Do the generated programms play against each other?

I also see that you have now commented out the class "Countstones" in the TictactoeMain class in the current version. I wondered why the system always picked this Function-class and ignored the other commands in the previous version. It still does that if l "un-comment" the CountStones class. Does the system really randomly pick and combine the Functions and Terminals to generate new programms? I have the feeling it always picked that class as it was the first in the list.

How can l get hold of, and display for instance the most fit programm in each generation? I tried to print it out as a tree following the Antmap example. But since the system runs and never stops l don't know whether it even gets to that point.

My goal will be to finally get the best generated program, and to let it play the game against a human player.

Grateful for your answers to my many questions.

Best regards,

Rans

Klaus Meffert-5 wrote
Hi Rans,

could you kindly send me the source code of your GP setup (or maybe the
complete source, if possible)?

I assume there is a problem with setup (although there is some space for
enhancement on JGAP side).

Thanx and best

the TicTacToe example is still in the works, in the past few days I did some
enhancements and fixes. I hope to get it running soon.
Your question 3: TicTacToe already uses coevolution, i.e., two players
competing each other (= two GP programs evolve independently and fight each
other).

Your question 1: TicTacToe never stops in the current version, but this is
intended and easy to change (see the other GP examples on how to do a
defined abortion).

Your question 2: Please see class TicTacToeMain: Population size is set via
config.setPopulationSize(..), for limiting number of generations, please see
other GP excamples.

To print out the fittest program in your generation, you can do that after
calling GpPenotype.evolve (in TicTacToeMain: m_gp1.evolve() and
m_gp2.evolve()).