JGAP TimeTable...

ChrisUK44
Hi,

Im currently trying to use this package to create an algorithm that would help me find the best place within a timetable to allocate coursework according to a number constraints.

I know how a genetic algorithm works and have around 3 years coding experience with Java. Its I just don't know where to start with this problem.

Any hints or tips would be very welcome.

Thank You

Chris

Re: JGAP TimeTable...

manolakis
With out being an expert with GAs, nor with JGAP I would strongly recommend you to start looking at the Chromosome, and Gene classes. Assuming that you want a time table like in schools, you will then need to encode instances like day, time, lecturer, student, etc into a chromosome.

I hope I helped

ChrisUK44 wrote
Hi,

Im currently trying to use this package to create an algorithm that would help me find the best place within a timetable to allocate coursework according to a number constraints.

I know how a genetic algorithm works and have around 3 years coding experience with Java. Its I just don't know where to start with this problem.

Any hints or tips would be very welcome.

Thank You

Chris

Re: JGAP TimeTable...

Daniel Jue
 We had a nice web application at the University of Maryland that did
 this.  I'm not sure what techniques were used, but it would propose
 several weekly schedules.  It took time constraints into account.  It
 probably did not use GA, or at least not in the classical sense.

 http://www.sis.umd.edu/bin/venus

 There may be source code available from the Computer Science department.

 Daniel