JGAP Roadmap

Stanislav Lazarov

Hi,

Could someone describe me briefly the future JGAP roadmap? Especially I am
interested in multi-threaded and distributed environment computation. It is
said in the FAQ that this is considered for a future (after 2.0) release,
now we are at 2.6. Request #1072636 (Distributed computing) has not been
updated since a year ago. It would be nice if
Population.determineFittestChromosome() runs several threads (usually the
number of CPU cores) over the population.

Regards,
        Stanislav Lazarov.

RE: JGAP Roadmap

Klaus Meffert
Stanislav,

you are right about the named requests and their age.

I think that it would be quite easy to accomplish the task with
Population.determineFittestChromosome().
My personal time schedule would allow to keep up with that in some few
weeks. But I could help you bring in an implementation of yours (if you mind
realizing such) into JGAP resp. adapt a demo program (possibly not concerned
with JGAP in any way but doing multi-threading sophisticatedly) to fit in
with JGAP from the threading perspective (meaning: take the threading-logic
and bring it in to JGAP).

So if you have an example of multithreading that could be used as a
"template" to update JGAP's Population.determineFittestChromosome() I could
put this in to JGAP. Or if you have any other idea, you are very welcome.

RE: JGAP Roadmap

Stanislav Lazarov

Klaus,

Thank you for the fast response. Actually, I have found a workaround without
even touching JGAP code. It is simply pre-evaluating fitness values through
a BulkFitnessFunction, where we run evaluations of hundreds of chromosomes
with several threads on several machines.
I haven't tried to modify determineFittestChromosome() to work with several
threads but it doesn't seem to be hard.

Stan