Quantcast

GP and compiled languages

cremat0rio
Hi!

I'm new here.

I would like to make just a small question.

A GP individual is (or can be) represented as a tree.
How does jgap run this individual to get its fitness? Does it have to compile it to java bytecode before running? If yes, doesn't this compilation put a heavy cost on the general GP performance? Isn't an interpreted language better suited for GP than a compiled one?

Sorry by this newbye questions. I'm new to the GP field.
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards,
David Pinheiro

Re: GP and compiled languages

Klaus Meffert-5
Hi David,

both options are possible:
a) Running an interpreted GP language (that is the standard way to my knowledge), meaning that the programmer provides command and terminal classes that fit to a given scheme/interface --> see the JGAP command and terminal GP classes in packages org.jgap.gp.function and org.jgap.gp.terminal
b) Constructing a Java program by concatenating appropriate texts into one or more classes, then compile this Java program on the fly, running it and evaluating the output --> Done in RobocodeJGAP,see http://jgap.sourceforge.net/doc/robocode/robocode.html

In either ways, evaluation has always to be done in a custom, problem specific fitness function.

Best