Duplicate Chromosomes

John Psaroudakis
   I am using JGAP in my diploma thesis to create a GA used for Data
   Mining and Rule Extracting. I have noticed that in the Population
   object, there are many duplicate chromosomes, that is, they point to
   the same chromosome object. Does it have any relation with the
   keepPopulationConstant parameter? Also, i have noticed that whatever i
   put in the keepPopulationConstant parameter, the population never
   remains constant !  I start the evolution with
   100 chromosomes and after 70 generation, they reach aproximately 270
   (which after some search i discovered that many of them are duplicated
   of existing chromosomes)
   Thanks for your help in advance !

   John Psaroudakis

Re: Duplicate Chromosomes

Klaus Meffert-5
John,

thanx for your kind remark about the population structure! Sorry for the delayed answer.
I will investigate this issue on the weekend and report back, possibly with a test case to reveal the bevahiour.

>    I am using JGAP in my diploma thesis to create a GA used for Data
>    Mining and Rule Extracting. I have noticed that in the Population
>    object, there are many duplicate chromosomes, that is, they point to
>    the same chromosome object. Does it have any relation with the
>    keepPopulationConstant parameter? Also, i have noticed that whatever i
>    put in the keepPopulationConstant parameter, the population never
>    remains constant !  I start the evolution with
>    100 chromosomes and after 70 generation, they reach aproximately 270
>    (which after some search i discovered that many of them are duplicated
>    of existing chromosomes)
>    Thanks for your help in advance !
>
>    John Psaroudakis

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

Re: Duplicate Chromosomes

John,

the reason for duplicate chromosomes is the BestChromosomesSelector that is
constructed in DefaultConfiguration. In the latter class the parameter calls
method setDoubletteChromosomesAllowed(true) from  BestChromosomesSelector.
If you replace this call with setDoubletteChromosomesAllowed(false) in
DefaultConfiguration, then everything should work fine.
I am currently enhancing the BestChromosomesSelector to clone chromsomomes
even if the mentioned parameter is set to true. Although the change is
completed, I'll have to adapt several test cases which is the difficult and
longer-taking part of the task. Will be completed with the next release,
which will appear this year asap.

Maybe your other issue will disappear with that, too. I'll keep an eye onto
it.