Chromosomes with varient number of genes

Chromosomes with varient number of genes

Sajith Vimukthi
Hi,

I am very new to GA and JGAP. Indeed I want to select an optimal set if words out of a huge text. For that I though of using a GA. When I thought about that in the context of GA, I felt that there should be some ability where I should be able to define the number of genes in a chromosome dynamically. Is it possible with GA? Does JGAP support that?
Sajith Vimukthi Weerakoon,
T .P No : ++94-716102392

Re: Chromosomes with varient number of genes

andycrack
Hi Sajith
             From my experience with JGAP I think you have to do is
create a String Gene, because in this class you can set a minimal and
maximal Length of the string, maybe if you use a random generator of
integers also include in this library you can simulate diferent
chromosomes with genes dynamically.

I hope this is a good answer for you

best regards

Christian

On 11/14/09, Sajith Vimukthi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very new to GA and JGAP. Indeed I want to select an optimal set if
> words out of a huge text. For that I though of using a GA. When I thought
> about that in the context of GA, I felt that there should be some ability
> where I should be able to define the number of genes in a chromosome
> dynamically. Is it possible with GA? Does JGAP support that?
> --
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Sajith Vimukthi Weerakoon,
> T .P No : ++94-716102392

Re: Chromosomes with varient number of genes

Gianpaolo Valero
Hi all,

    I'm using GABIL for GA. I wanted to use JGAP to solve this problem. So, i have the same problem that Sajith has. I just read the solution you posted and there's something that's not clear.

    You wrote "you have to do is create a String Gene". So, my choromosomes would have only one gene with different size?. Is that the solution you're giving?
andycrack wrote
Hi Sajith
             From my experience with JGAP I think you have to do is

On 11/14/09, Sajith Vimukthi <sajith.vim@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very new to GA and JGAP. Indeed I want to select an optimal set if
> words out of a huge text. For that I though of using a GA. When I thought
> about that in the context of GA, I felt that there should be some ability
> where I should be able to define the number of genes in a chromosome
> dynamically. Is it possible with GA? Does JGAP support that?
> --
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Sajith Vimukthi Weerakoon,
> T .P No : ++94-716102392

Re: Chromosomes with varient number of genes

Gianpaolo,

having chromosomes with a varying number of genes is quite easy. Just use a CompositeGene and inside it the desired genes you need. But the thing is that your genetic operators (mainly the crossover operator, or also a custom one) must be able to handle this case.
I think, adding an example for this may be helpful. For that it would be great to have a problem description, or a source code from you, that allows setting up an example quite easily. Please also describe which genetic operators are applicable and how they should work. Maybe a reference to the GABIL source (hopefully in Java) also helps.

--- original Nachricht Ende ----