Changing chromosomes in the evolutionary process

Changing chromosomes in the evolutionary process

Thomas Kluth-2
Hello jgap-Users and Developers,

we are developing as a project an application like the mona-lisa
example, but only with grayscale pictures and with lines instead of
polygons.
One Chromosome is one Line-Image. One Line is a CompositeGene, filled
with IntegerGene (for x1,y1,x2,y2,stroke,composite of the Line). So one
Chromosome consists of "number of lines"-Composite Genes.
We would like to change our number of lines during the evolutionary
process. It's kind of working right now - if you change the setting
while the evolution is running, it's painting more or less lines. But -
and that's the big problem - if it's a big change (so from 100 lines to
1000 lines) JGAP is kind of confused and is not getting better anymore.
I think it's a problem with the Fitness-Function. As we are comparing
the original image with the generated image pixel per pixel, it's a big
difference if we have 100 (more or less) black lines oder 1000 (more or
less) black lines. So we calculated the fitness also as a function of
the chromosomes length (fitness = fitness/chromosomes.length).
But still it's not working with every change.
So my question is: Is there any method where you can reset the
fitnessvalue, so that jgap thinks it's starting again? Or does anyone of
you have a better idea to solve this problem?

If you want to see source code or try our application so far (it's
showing some good results - just use a small image (maximum 200 pixel in
one direction) and about 200-500 lines) go to
http://code.google.com/p/genetische-kunst/ and check out the latest
revision - you still need to compile and not everything is working like
it should.

Thanks and greetings,
Thomas